My First REAL Job

This is about the experiences I've had as a college student making my way into the full-time working world.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Patience Is A Virtue


It's been over a month now since I started at the gallery, and I haven't exactly been set free to sell or do any sort of designing. I have learned how to make the sculptures sparkle and organize the frame counter to a T, though. There have been days when I'm required to follow my coworker around and watch everything she does; without getting to take over any part of the work.

I've become accustomed to other retail jobs where I learn everything I need to know within the first week, and then I'm set free to work and figure the job out on my own. The gallery is different though, because I have to learn the entire business, not just interior design or web pages, which I was hired to do. I'm learning the frame shop; selling furniture, artwork and lighting; ordering and pricing; and running the computer.

My training has been unorganized and covers only a small part of each job. I haven't learned how to completely do one job, so I can't do anything on my own yet, which is very frustrating. I've tried to be aggressive and take over small jobs, but I usually end up doing part of it wrong since I haven't been completely trained.

Although, I've discovered that each time I am given the chance to do something on my own, I'll do it even if I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right. I want them to know that I need to learn more, and I'm comfortable taking on more responsibility. I know eventually I'll be given more responsibility, and until then I have to practice patience every day. It seems to me that I didn't go to college to know exactly how to do one specific job; I went so that I would be teachable in a variety of related jobs.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger taekwondomom said...

Your last comment here about being teachable is so true. I think what a liberal arts college does best is teach our students how to learn.

Your entry is interesting because it captures a lot of the ambivalence people feel when they start a job, especially a new professional job.

I like the artwork you're posting. Adds a nice touch to the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home