My First REAL Job

This is about the experiences I've had as a college student making my way into the full-time working world.

Monday, March 20, 2006

REAL Job Panic



I've begun to panic that I accepted my first full-time position too quickly. I'm unsure if I want to stay in this area of the country, if I want to forget about graduate school, and if I really want to work in an art gallery. I'd been planning to move to a larger city, work as a graphic designer, and possibly go to school for architecture.

All of these options seemed more open to me when I was still just a student with a part-time job that I didn't care about. Now, working full-time in a position that will take a lot of my time and energy, I feel unsure about what I want to do with my future. I want to be able to focus on my job at the gallery 100 percent, but if I feel uncertain about it I don’t believe I’ll be able to do my best. To help ease my worries I've talked to a career counselor at my college.

She assured me that it's normal to panic about a first job because they are never as perfect as we imagine them to be while in college. She also told me to keep looking and researching other jobs incase I find something that will help me get to my ideal position sooner. This way I won't feel like the door is closing on my options. I was also strongly advised to stick with this job for a least a year because she said most jobs need to be experienced for that long to determine if it's something I will enjoy doing.

So, for now I am going to do my best at the gallery and keep an open mind. Also, I am going to keep researching jobs and graduate school so I can be prepared for my future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home