My First REAL Job

This is about the experiences I've had as a college student making my way into the full-time working world.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Learning Curve


Friday night our gallery was one out of five galleries in town to host a walking tour. The public is invited to go from one gallery to the next at their own leisure. My job was to speak with guests and deliver information about any artwork or furniture they showed interest in.

I felt nervous because there is still a lot I don't know about the gallery. We have over 500 artists work, and as of then I was only comfortable giving information about five of our most popular artists.

I surprised myself though because I was able to speak about any piece that a guest asked me about. The laid back atmosphere of the tour allowed me to push away any insecurities I had, and I pulled out information I didn't realize I had.

Many things I had learned from listening to my coworker speak to clients. I found that the things I remembered were stories about the artists that I felt were interesting, so when I relayed them to our guests that night they became excited and interested in the art also.

At the end of the night my boss walked up to me and said I had done a great job. He told me he had approached a guest that night to tell her about the piece of art she was looking at, and after he started speaking the guest told him I had already filled her in.

I think he was just as surprised as I had been on what I've already learned. My interest in art and the artists process has helped me pick up on lots of information quickly. Now I'm excited to sell more work and speak with our clients.

(image is a piece from my senior exhibition)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home