My First REAL Job

This is about the experiences I've had as a college student making my way into the full-time working world.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Skirts and Screwdrivers



I had to stop and laugh at myself today as I suddenly realized how silly I looked. I was lying on my back screwing together an Elite glass desk, wearing dress pants and high heels.

This is a part of my job I enjoy most. Getting to use my hands. I feel like I've accomplished a real task when it requires motor skills and muscle.

When new shipments of furniture and artwork are delivered I unpack and assemble the pieces. It's not always the most glamorous job since, at times, I have to get down in the dirt and dust, but I feel like I've contributed to the gallery when a new piece is displayed.

This dirty work isn't something I expected to be doing working at an art gallery, but at a small business everyone pitches in to do dirty work at times. Now I've just got to figure out the most sophisticated way to use a power drill while standing in a skirt.

(Photo is exact desk I was working on.)

1 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Blogger taekwondomom said...

This posting made me laugh!

Yes, I also love working with tools, especially power tools. It's a nice balance to the brain-work my job usually entails.

I love your titles, too, Carman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home